Hiro Lee Tanaka
Harvard University Math Department
1 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
I'm currently a Benjamin Peirce Fellow and NSF Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard. I received my Ph.D. in 2013 from Northwestern University, where my advisor was Kevin Costello. You may have also seen me in Bonn in summer of 2015, or around the Bay Area in spring of 2014, when I was an MSRI Postdoctoral Fellow.
My research is in algebraic topology with an emphasis on mathematical physics.
Statement of commitment to diversity in mathematics
I support conducting further research into the sometimes subtle, sometimes not-so-subtle, ways in which various groups come to be underrepresented in mathematical fields. I also support promoting policies and activities to dismantle the mechanisms that lead to representational inequalities in mathematics.
PapersFor more details, please see my research page.
- Odd sphere bundles, symplectic manifolds, and their intersection theory, with Li-Sheng Tseng. arXiv:1702.03423
- The Fukaya category pairs with Lagrangian cobordisms exactly. arXiv:1609.08400
- The Fukaya category pairs with Lagrangian cobordisms. arXiv:1607.04976
- Functors (between oo-categories) that aren't strictly unital. arXiv:1606.05669
- Bridgeland stability, 2-Segal spaces, and the Ran space of the line. In Proceedings of the Conference on Manifolds, K-Theory and Related Topics Contemporary Mathematics (2017), 209--235.
- Factorization homology of stratified spaces, with David Ayala and John Francis. Sel. Math. New Ser. (2017) 23: 293--362. arXiv:1409.0848
- Local structures on stratified spaces, with David Ayala and John Francis. Adv. Math. 307 (2017), 903--1028. arxiv 1409.0501
- Factorization homology in 3-dimensional topology, with Nikita Markarian. In Mathematical Aspects of Quantum Field Theories, Springer 2015, pp. 222-231.
- In simply-connected cotangent bundles, exact Lagrangian cobordisms are h-cobordisms. arXiv:1404.6273.
- A stable infinity-category of Lagrangian cobordisms, with David Nadler. arXiv:1109.4835.
- I am currently one of the faculty advisors for Harvard's Gender Inclusivity in Mathematics.
- I am also one of the coaches for a local high school Mock Trial team. I coached Northwestern University's undergraduate Mock Trial team back when I was in Chicago.
- I used to volunteer with PBHA's Youth Prison Tutoring Program.
- During spring of 2014, I volunteered for the Reading Partners program, reading one-on-one with students at an elementary school in Oakland.
- Back in Chicago, I used to volunteer for the Chicago HOPES homeless education program, where I worked with students in elementary and middle schools. The organization is now called Chicago HOPES for Kids.
- At Northwestern, I was one of two Outreach Coordinators for the Northwestern Presidential Fellows.
- I also co-organized the Talbot Workshop from Fall 2009 to Spring 2013.
- I helped organize the 2013 Pre-Talbot Seminar on chromatic homotopy theory.
- I helped organize the 2011 Pre-Talbot seminar on non-Abelian Hodge Theory with Sam Gunningham and Owen Gwilliam.